What is a Party Wall Notice?

Party Wall Notices

Often, the first time that an Adjoining Owner becomes aware of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is when a notice drops through their door. There are 3 types of notice that a Building Owner may have to serve upon an Adjoining Owner to make them aware that he intends to carry out work which falls under the scope of the Act.

Click Here for Instant quotation

Or Call the duty Surveyor direct 07764 589 804          Email info@partywallagreement.com

Or call the Office on 0207 118 4331  Open 9-9 x 7 days a Week 

Party Structure Notice

Party Structure Notices are served under section 3 of the act although they cover works described in section 2 (2) sub sections (a) to (n). Generally speaking these are alterations that directly affect the Party Wall and include common jobs such as cutting holes to insert beams and padstones, cutting in flashings and removing chimney breasts.

The notice period is 2 months and the following information must be included for the notice to be valid (although there is not a prescribed form):

  • Name and address of the Building Owner.
  • Nature and particulars of the proposed work.
  • Date on which the work will begin.

Notice of Adjacent Excavation

Notices of adjacent excavation are concerned with works notifiable under section 6 of the Act. There are two types of excavations that are covered under section 6:

  • Excavating within 3 metres of your neighbour’s building and to a depth lower than the bottom of their foundations.
  • Excavating within 6 metres of your neighbour’s building, if any part of that excavation intersects with a plane drawn downwards at an angle of 45 degrees from the bottom of their foundations, taken at a line level with the face of their external wall (this will normally mean that you neighbour is using piled foundations).

The notice must contain the same information as a Party Structure Notice but also be accompanied by plans and sections showing the extent of the proposed excavation.With each of these types of notices the adjoining owner has 14 days to respond after which they are automatically deemed to be ‘in dispute’ and obliged to appoint a specialist Party Wall Surveyor.

This is the least common of the notices and is served under section 1 of the Act and again covers two distinct tasks:

  • The construction of a new wall adjacent to a boundary.
  • The construction of a new wall astride a boundary.

The notice period is one month.

If the Adjoining Owner does not respond to a section 1 notice relating to a neighbour’s intentions to build a new wall up to the boundary, the work can commence when the notice period has expired. The Building Owner may place any necessary footings and foundations (with the exception of reinforced foundations known as ‘special foundations’) under the Adjoining Owner’s land provided that it is necessary.

The building of a new wall astride the boundary is the only type of work covered under the Act which the adjoining owner can prevent. If the Adjoining Owner does not respond in writing within 14 days the building owner will have to build the new wall entirely on his side of the boundary line. Again, the Building Owner may place any necessary footings and foundations (with the exception of ‘special foundations’) under the Adjoining Owner’s land.

Serving Notices

Notice can be served in person or by post. If the Adjoining Owner’s name is not know the notice can be served on “The Owner” although in this situation it has to be either delivered personally or displayed on a conspicuous part of the premises.

For immediate attention call the duty Surveyor direct on 07764 589 804

Or the Office on 0207 118 4331  Email info@partywallagreement.com


Or Click Here for A quotation 

We are located at

 20-22 Wenlock Road London N1 7GU                 Call us Today  On 0207 118 4331                   We are open 9-9 x 7 Days A Week. 

Get social with us.


If you have any queries or wish to make an appointment, please contact us by EMail  


 By Telephone on 0207 118 4331

 Call Duty Surveyor Direct  On 07764 589 804       Simply Text for a Call Back. 


Or use our contact form.

Print | Sitemap
Party Wall Agreements Covering London and Nationwide.